The Last Starfighter is coming to blu-ray from Arrow Video. The film that managed to get the message across – that gaming could indeed lead to true greatness, is finally receiving the release that it richly deserves.
If you recall, The Last Starfighter did this really nice job of balancing some sci-fi elements together with lots of fun and laughs, but in between that it also manged to scare the piss out of you by way of its amazing make-up effects by Kevin Pike and his team. I mean seriously, Beta Alex is still disturbing to this day.
A lot of folks forget that this was Michael Myers himself, Nick Castle who directed this film. It was a very visionary leap for Castle and one that definitely worked its way into heavy rotation for a many sci-fi fan.
The official synopsis goes like this:
The Last Starfighter tells the story Alex Rogan (Lance Guest), an arcade game whizz-kid whose wildest dreams comes true when he finds himself enlisted to fight in an interstellar war.
The Last Starfighter’s blu-ray comes loaded with these features:
- Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original 35mm camera negative
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Uncompressed 2.0 stereo, 5.1 DTS-HD MA and 4.1 audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Brand new audio commentary with Mike White of The Last Projection Booth podcast
- Archival audio commentary with director Nick Castle and production designer Ron Cobb
- Heroes of the Screen – archival featurette
- Crossing the Frontier: The Making of The Last Starfighter – archival 4-part documentary
- Image Galleries
- Theatrical and Teaser Trailers
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Ferguson
- PLUS MORE NEW EXTRAS TO BE ANNOUNCED!!!
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY
- Limited Edition O-Card
- Limited Edition Reversible Poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Amanda Reyes and sci-fi author Greg Bear’s never-before-published Omni magazine article on Digital Productions, the company responsible for the CGI in The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter hits shelves on October 27. You pre-order yours HERE.