September 13th marks the first of two Friday the 13ths this year, a day that you can always count on horror fans to make as special as it by all means should be. And boy is this coming Friday the 13th going to be a special one. Here are ten awesome things to look forward to, including home video releases and a slew of exciting events, all of which come with the prestigious Voorhees Seal of Approval!
– I’m willing to bet there’s not a horror fan on this planet that’s not incredibly excited about the release of Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th, the documentary version of Peter M. Bracke’s book from a few years back that promises to be the ultimate retrospective look at the entire franchise. Narrated by the original Tommy Jarvis, Corey Feldman, and featuring extensive interviews with over 150 cast and crew members from all twelve Friday the 13th films and even the unrelated TV series of the same name, Crystal Lake Memories has a run-time of a mind blowing 6+ hours, and even includes a bonus DVD with four more hours of extended interviews, when the set is purchased through the official website. Needless to say, this documentary set is an absolute must have for all fans of the franchise, and it would be downright criminal to not go ahead andright now. I don’t care that doing so will max out your credit card. Just do it and be happy about it.
– The documentary sounds great and all, but when will we finally be able to own all of the films in the franchise on Blu-ray? Well, I’m glad you asked. September 13th also marks the long awaited release of the Friday the 13th: Complete Collection Blu-ray set, which includes all the films in the original franchise as well as Freddy vs Jason and the remake, all gathered together for the first time ever. This also marks the first time A New Beginning, Jason Lives, The New Blood, Jason Takes Manhattan, Jason Goes To Hell and Jason X have EVER been released on Blu-ray here in the states, so let’s all say a big time collective thank you to Warner Bros. for making this happen!
– For those that like to read, the making of the original Friday the 13th will also be documented in a brand new book, titled On Location in Blairstown: The Making of Friday the 13th. Written by David Grove, with a foreword by Tom Savini, the 226 page paperback book covers the creation, planning and filming of the movie, brought to life through cast and crew memories as well as never before seen production materials and information. The idea of the book is not just to discuss the making of the movie, but to literally transport the reader back in time and put them onto the set, providing a front row seat to all the conflicts and adventures that resulted in the classic film we all know and love. Sounds good to me!
– We round out the releases portion of this list with a film unrelated to the Friday the 13th franchise, but nevertheless one that has been given a perfectly timed released; Insidious: Chapter 2, the sequel to 2010’s scariest horror film. Written by Leigh Whannell and directed by James Wan, Chapter 2 picks up where the first one left off, with Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne reprising their roles as the Lambert family, who once again find themselves plagued by horrifying supernatural occurrences. The Lamberts aren’t in the clear yet, and I for one can’t wait to sit in a dark theater on Friday the 13th and let James Wan scare the shit out of me for the second time this year!
– In what is no doubt the coolest screening of Friday the 13th that’s ever been held, Blairstown, New Jersey’s historic Blairstown Theatre will be playing host to the film on the 13th. Why is this so exciting? As you’d know if you were paying attention above, Blairstown is the town where Friday the 13th was filmed, andwas one of the locations seen in the movie. Friday the 13th on the big screen…on Friday the 13th…in the town where Friday the 13th was filmed; doesn’t get much more awesome than that!
Actually, it kind of does…
– On the very same day, a guided tour of Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco will be held, which is the camp that served as Camp Crystal Lake in the original film. The camp is a stone’s throw away from the Blairstown Theatre, and is typically not open to the public, due to the fact that it’s an active Boy Scouts camp. This is a rare opportunity for fans to be able to visit the camp, though I feel bad even mentioning is because the limited number of tickets that were available have already sold out. That said, if you head over to the camp’s website you can sign up for the wait list, and you’ll be notified if any more tickets become available. How cool would it be to tour Crystal Lake and then see Friday the 13th in the town it was filmed, all on the same day?!
– Over in Pennsylvania, The Awesome Fest is putting on a horror movie marathon in the woods, which they’ve dubbed ‘The Summer Camp Sleepover.’ On the grounds of the Adventureland Day Camp in Bensalem, they’ll be screening six horror movies as well as offering up all sorts of fun summer activities, including fishing, rock climbing and of course, campfires. There will also be horror vendors selling merchandise as well as food trucks on premises, providing everything you need for an awesome night out in the woods. The BYOB/BYOT (bring your own beer/tent) event runs from dusk ’til dawn on the 13th, and you can purchase tickets and see the full list of movies over on The Awesome Fest’s website.
– The Alamo Drafthouse’s Vintage Park Theater in Houston, Texas will be playing host to a special marathon screening of the so-called Tommy Jarvis trilogy; The Final Chapter, A New Beginning and Jason Lives playing back to back beginning at 7:30pm. If you buy your tickets before September 1st you can get them for just $15, so be sure and do that if you’re able to attend. Can’t think of a better way to spend Friday the 13th than with Jason’s greatest adversary!
– Warner Bros. will be holding their own theatrical marathon of select films in the franchise, as a tie-in with the aforementioned release of the Blu-ray collection. This one takes place at the Aero Theater in Santa Monica, California, and will kick off at 5:00pm. In addition to a marathon of the first four films, the event will be spiced up with a costume contest and even a trivia challenge, and you get it all for just 13 bucks a ticket. Why this is happening at only one theater in the country is beyond me, but if you’re lucky enough to be located in or near Santa Monica you can purchase your tickets on the Aero Theater’s website.
– And last but certainly not least we have the weekend-long Mad Monster Party Gras in New Orleans, an off-shoot of the Mad Monster Party convention. The event kicks off on Friday the 13th and runs through the entire weekend, and the guest list includes Bruce Campbell, Heather Langenkamp, Friday Part 3‘s Larry Zerner and many others. All sorts of fun events will be going on all weekend at the Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, and you can learn all about the convention by browsing through the Party Gras website!
Quite frankly, this is only the tip of the iceberg of all the awesome things that are happening this coming Friday the 13th, with similar events taking place all over the country. So be sure to keep your eyes peeled and if you know of any events that we didn’t mention, leave a comment and share your knowledge with us!