There was a very interesting phase shift in Gialli history where the once beautiful and hyper stylized films started to mutate into a variety of regional approaches. These ranged from direct leather-gloved killer, generic police procedurals to the straight up over the top smuttiness. You could prolly guess from the title which camp Strip Nude for Your Killer Falls into.
Director, Andrea Bianchi (What the Peeper Saw) turns hard into the grimier side of the Giallo with this one. Complete with entirely over sexualized characters, gritty aesthetic and sex scene setups that are straight out of softcore porn films.
In Stip Nude for Your Killer, a leather clad, motorcycle helmet wearing slasher goes after employees of the Milanese fashion house with a murderous vengeance. It falls into the hands of Magda and Carlo to discover who is taking these ladies out and maybe to also discover why Carlo is such a stereotypical archetype of eurotrash.
Strip Nude for Your Killer is a fun take on Giallo. Its overly sexualized characters, its cool killer and its intense death scenes are all great additions to the Gialli lexicon. While, it might not be what father founders Argento, Fulci and Bava had in mind, it is an interesting departure none the less, and one that fellow Gialloholics like myself need as part of their collection.
As usual Arrow Video kills it with the special features complete with a must-see video essay on the great and hilarious Edwige Fenech. I also am in love with the fact that for our viewing pleasure Arrow has included both an untinted and blue tinted version of the films opening scene. Attention to detail like that is why I would gladly join the cult of Arrow if there was one… or maybe there is and I’m already in.
Complete features include:
- Brand new 2K restoration from the original camera negative
- High definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original lossless mono Italian and English soundtracks
- English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
- New audio commentary by HORRORPEDIA.com’s Adrian J. Smith and David Flint
- Sex and Death with a Smile, a new video essay by author and critic Kat Ellinger on giallo and sex comedy icon Edwige Fenech
- A Good Man for the Murders, a newly edited video interview with actor Nino Castelnuovo
- The Blonde Salamander, a new video interview with actress Erna Schurer
- The Art of Helping, a new video interview with assistant director Daniele Sangiorgi
- Jack of All Trades, a new video interview with actor and production manager Tino Polenghi
- Two versions of the opening scene: tinted and untinted viewing options
- Original Italian and English theatrical trailers
- Image gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic Rachael Nisbet
Strip Nude for Your Killer is out now and can be found over here.