The 86′ culter, Spookies is finally getting the Blu-Ray treatment thanks to our good friends at Vinegar Syndrome.
I specifically remember Spookies in my youth due to its absolutely gnarly practical effects and creatures design. It’s a fun ride that is heightened by the variety of monster designs and Mario Bava and William Castle influences.
As part of its Black Friday sale, Vinegar Syndrome has released two slipcover editions of Spookies. The artwork is amazing on both slips, so much so that, we had trouble picking which one to order.
The full features on the disc are as follows:
Spookies Special features:
• Region Free 2-disc Blu-ray Set
• Newly scanned & restored in 4k from its 35mm original camera negative
• “Twisted Tale – The Unmaking of Spookies” – a feature-length making-of documentary, including a commentary track with documentary co-directors Michael Gingold & Glen Baisley and extensive deleted scenes.
• “VIPCO – The Untold Story” – a feature-length documentary on the notorious UK home video label, including extended interview footage with Michael Lee (founder of VIPCO) and a trailer.
• 2015 Alamo Drafthouse screening introductions with Spookies director Thomas Doran and co-writer/producer Frank M. Farel.
• Q&A from a 2015 Hudson Horror Show screening with actor Peter Iasillo, actor Anthony Valbiro and production assistant Tom Sciacca
• Archival locations featurette with actor Peter Iasillo
• Pinreel outtakes and bloopers
• Behind the scenes still gallery
• Theatrical trailer
• Reversible cover artwork with new artwork by Gary Pullin
• English SDH subtitles
On top of Spookies, Vinegar Syndrome also released a great 4K disc for Tammy and the T-Rex. If you haven’t seen that yet, it’s a must see to believe and stars a very young Paul Walker and Denise Richards.
Curious, out of the two covers released for Spookies, which would you choose? Let us know in the comments section.
To order Spookies, Tammy and the T-Rex and other awesome titles head over HERE.