Sam Raimi and Rob Tapart’s original The Evil Dead starring Bruce Campbell and the sequels that followed, The Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness have been cult classics for decades, so it was with a huge cheer that people reacted to the news that Starz was making a television series based on them. Ash vs The Evil Dead even brought back Bruce Campbell as the original, chainsaw-handed hero.
But today, THR is reporting that Starz has officially opted not to renew the series, making the season finale on April 29th the series finale.
Carmi Zlotnik, the President of Programming at Starz said of the series, “Ash vs. Evil Dead has taken audiences on a wild ride for three seasons thanks to the fantastic performances and creative efforts of Sam, Bruce, Rob and the entire cast and crew. We are proud to send the show out with a bang … and a splat.”
The cancellation of the show is something that has been rumored for a while now. The show’s writers even considered it while working on season three, making sure the season finale wouldn’t leave us with cliffhangers in the event the show was canceled. Unfortunately, what they feared came to pass, and if there was any doubt to the news, the man himself, Bruce Campbell, posted this on his twitter.
Ash Vs Evil Dead has been the ride of a lifetime. Ash Williams was the role of a lifetime.
I will always be grateful to Starz, Sam Raimi, Rob Tapert and our tireless fans for the opportunity to revisit the franchise that launched our careers. Thank you! 😎 pic.twitter.com/oNmTopS1Ab
— Bruce Campbell (@GroovyBruce) April 20, 2018
Campbell has previously said that if Ash vs The Evil Dead was canceled, it would be the last time he would play the character. While we can hope he might reconsider if a new opportunity came up, we wish him all the best and can’t wait to see what role he might play next.