While writer/director Don Coscarelli is obviously best known to horror fans as the man behind the Phantasm franchise, it’s far from the only great thing he’s contributed to the genre. Case in point is 2002’s Bubba Ho-Tep, a film which somehow manages to pull off a balancing act between hilarious horror comedy farce and touching personal drama about the very real terror of getting old.
A certified cult classic, Bubba Ho-Tep stars Bruce Campbell as a still very much alive Elvis Presley, now whiling away his golden years in a Texas nursing home. Back in the 70s, The King grew tired of his life in the spotlight, and switched places with an Elvis impersonator. Unfortunately, that man died, leaving the real Elvis forever trapped in his new identity. Elvis’ only friend at the home is Jack (Ossie Davis), a black man who claims that is in fact president John F. Kennedy. According to Jack, the government dyed him black, and abandoned him at the facility.
These two aging icons soon find their boring nursing home lives turned upside down by the arrival of the titular creature, a recently reanimated ancient Egyptian mummy who dresses up like a cowboy for some reason, and then proceeds to feast on the souls of the other elderly residents. Elvis and Jack are left with no choice but to fight for their lives against an entity even older than they are.
For those who’ve never had the pleasure of watching Bubba-Ho Tep, there will never be a better time to rectify that mistake than when Scream Factory releases their Collector’s Edition Blu-Ray of the film on November 8th. The first ever HD disc release for Bubba Ho-Tep, Scream’s Blu-Ray is absolutely packed with extras, combining five hours of brand new bonus material with the already fairly robust slate of extras present on the old MGM DVD. A full rundown of the contents is included below. With releases like these, Scream Factory continues to cement its status as an HD-loving horror fan’s best friend.
- NEW Audio Commentary with author Joe R. Lansdale
- NEW “All Is Well” – an interview with writer/director Don Coscarelli
- NEW “The King Lives!” – an interview with star Bruce Campbell
- NEW “Mummies and Make-up” – an interview with special effects artist Robert Kurtzman
- Audio Commentary by Don Coscarelli and Bruce Campbell
- Audio Commentary by “The King”
- Deleted Scenes with optional commentary by Don Coscarelli and Bruce Campbell
- “The Making of Bubba Ho-Tep” featurette
- “To Make a Mummy” – Makeup and Effects
- “Fit for A King” – Elvis Costuming
- “Rock Like an Egyptian” – Featurette about the Music of Bubba Ho-Tep
- Joe R. Lansdale Reads from Bubba Ho-Tep
- Archival Bruce Campbell interviews
- Music Video
- Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spot
- Still Gallery