Nightmare Cinema has been in the works for a while–iHorror first reported on the project back in 2017–but according to a report from Deadline anthology film with an all-star cast and a line-up of horrormeister directors is finally ready for its big screen debut.
Mick Garris (The Stand), Joe Dante (Gremlins), David Slade (30 Days of Night), Ryûhei Kitamura (The Midnight Meat Train), and Alejandro Brugués (Juan of the Dead) each direct a segment in the film.
Garris also directs the frame narrative for the film which finds five strangers drawn to an old, abandoned movie theater where a mysterious Projectionist (Mickey Rourke) shows them films that prey upon their darkest fears.
According to IMDb, the five segments are:
- The Thing in the Woods directed by Brugués, a horror pastiche pulling together all the best parts of deep woods horror.
- Mirare directed by Dante dives deep into the world of cosmetic surgery and those who are not only addicted to but draw a great deal of pleasure from going under the knife.
- Mashit by Kitamaura finds a boarding school where the faculty and student body are all possessed by demons.
- Slade directs The Way to Egress, a nightmare in black and white about a woman who finds herself in a nightmarish alternate reality.
- Dead, directed by Garris, centers on a boy trapped in a hospital filled with evil spiirts.
It’s enough to have any dedicated horror fan lining up for tickets!
This film has serious talent beyond the horror masters behind the camera, as well.
Richard Chamberlain (The Thorn Birds), Patrick Wilson (The Conjuring), Elizabeth Reaser (Netflix’s The Haunting of Hill House), and Ezra Buzzington (The Hills Have Eyes) lead a seriously talented cast alongside Rourke.
Nightmare Cinema will have a limited release in theaters on June 21, 2019 and will be available on the same day on streaming platforms.