It’s that time of the year, but with video stores being nearly nonexistent, where on Earth will you get all those scary movies for this time of year? Have no fear (ok, have at least some)! AMC, El Rey and Sundance networks have revealed their Halloween programming!
Friday, October 17 to Friday, October 31 (all times ET/PT)The annual blockbuster marathon of thriller and horror films, kicks off on Friday, October 17. The virtual film festival, celebrating its 18th year, will feature scare-themed programming and 65 films, including Halloween, The Omen, Friday the 13th and Tremors.
AMC Fearfest 2014
“AMC Fearfest”’ programming specials include:
- Stephen King Marathon – Friday, 10/17 beginning at 9a and featuring: Thinner, Silver Bullet, Cujo, Dreamcatcher and the 30th anniversaries of Firestarter at 8p and Children of the Corn at 10:30p
- “Tremors” Marathon – Saturday, 10/18 beginning at 10a and featuring: Tremors, Tremors 2: Aftershocks, Tremors 3: Back to Perfection, Tremors 4: The Legend Begins
- Chucky-thon – Sunday, 10/19 beginning at 12p and featuring: Child’s Play 2, Child’s Play 3, Bride of Chucky, Seed of Chucky
- “Friday the 13th” Marathon – Monday, 10/20 beginning at 9a and continuing through Tuesday, 10/21. Featuring: Friday the 13th, Friday the13th Part II, Friday the 13th Part III, Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, Friday the 13th: A New Beginning, Friday the 13th VI: Jason Lives, Friday the 13th VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan, Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday, Jason X, Friday the 13th (2009)
- “The Omen” Marathon – Friday, 10/24 beginning at 4p and featuring: The Omen, Damien: Omen II, Omen III: The Final Conflict
- Chucky-thon – Saturday, 10/25 beginning at 2p and featuring: Child’s Play 2, Child’s Play 3, Bride of Chucky, Seed of Chucky
- “Tremors” Marathon – Sunday, 10/26 beginning at 7:45a and featuring: Tremors, Tremors 2: Aftershocks, Tremors 3: Back to Perfection, Tremors 4: The Legend Begins
- “Halloween” Marathon – Monday, 10/27-Wednesday, 10/29 beginning at 7p every night. Continues all day Thursday, 10/30 and Friday, 10/31 beginning at 9a. Featuring: Halloween, Halloween II, Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers, Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers
El Rey Network
“From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series” – Marathon
Season One Marathon airing Friday, October 31 beginning at 2:00PM ET/PT Episodes 1-10
“From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series” is centered around bank robber Seth Gecko (D.J. Cotrona) and his violent, unpredictable brother, Richard “Richie” Gecko (Zane Holtz), who are wanted by the FBI and Texas Rangers Earl McGraw (Don Johnson) and Freddie Gonzalez (Jesse Garcia) after a bank heist leaves several people dead. While on the run to Mexico, Seth and Richie encounter former pastor Jacob Fuller (Robert Patrick) and his family, whom they take hostage. Using the family RV to cross the border, chaos ensues when the group detours to a strip club that is populated by vampires. They are forced to fight until dawn in order to get out alive. The series deepens the tone and expands the storyline of the film, adds new characters and backstories and explores the Mesoamerican mythology behind the creatures inside the club.
Sundance TV’s “Day of the Dead”
Beginning Saturday, November 1 (all times ET/PT) “Day of the Dead” programming includes:
- “Dead Zone”- Saturday, 11/1 at 12:00AM and 2:15AM The Dead Zone is a 1983 American horror thriller film based on the Stephen King novel of the same name. Directed by David Cronenberg, the film stars Christopher Walken, Martin Sheen, and Tom Skerritt. The plot revolves around a schoolteacher, Johnny Smith (Walken), who awakens from a coma to find he has psychic powers.
- “The Returned”- Sunday, 11/2 at 12:00PM – Season One Marathon Based on the feature film “Les Revenants” by Robin Campillo, “The Returned,” an eight-part French series distributed by Zodiak Rights created by Fabrice Gobert was a smash hit for France’s Canal+ and the UK’s Channel 4. The Independent proclaimed the drama “one of the greatest, creepiest, most compelling shows brought to…TV screens in 2013.” In an idyllic French mountain town, a seemingly random collection of people find themselves in a state of confusion as they attempt to return to their homes. What they don’t know yet is that they have been dead for several years, and no one is expecting them back. As they struggle to reintegrate with their families and past lovers, buried secrets emerge and new mysteries develop as they grapple with a miraculous and sinister new reality. But it seems they are not the only ones to have returned from the dead. Their arrival coincides with a series of gruesome murders which bear a chilling resemblance to the work of a serial killer from the past. The series is produced by Caroline Benjo, Jimmy Desmarais and Carole Scotta from Haut et Court. “The Returned” season two will air in 2015 on SundanceTV.
- “Halloween” – Sunday, 11/2 at 10:00PMHalloween is a 1978 American independent slasher horror film directed and scored by John Carpenter, co-written with producer Debra Hill, and starring Donald Pleasence and Jamie Lee Curtis in her film debut. The film was the first installment in what became the Halloween franchise. The plot is set in the fictional Midwestern town of Haddonfield, Illinois. On Halloween night in 1963, a six-year-old Michael Myers murders his older sister by stabbing her with a kitchen knife. Fifteen years later, he escapes from a psychiatric hospital, returns home, and stalks teenager Laurie Strode and her friends. Michael’s psychiatrist Dr. Sam Loomis suspects Michael’s intentions, and follows him to Haddonfield to try to prevent him from killing.