Are you afraid of the dark? Vin Diesel’s Furyan-badass definitely isn’t. The ocular augmented, anti-hero is coming to 4K and Blu-Ray from Arrow Video via MVD Entertainment to remind us what Vin looks like kicking nocturnal-alien butt.
The synopsis for Vin Diesel’s Pitch Black goes like this:
A deep space transporter crash-lands on a desolate planet circled by three suns. Among the survivors are pilot Carolyn Fry, mystic Abu `Imam’ al-Walid, cop William J Johns and convicted criminal Richard B Riddick, and their first thoughts are of survival and escape. Then Fry finds out that the planet suffers a total eclipse every 22 years, which is when the hibernating, flesh-eating inhabitants awake and hunt.
Pitch Black eventually lead to, 2004’s The Chronicles of Riddick and 2013’s Riddick. Each film expanded on the mythos of David Twohy and Diesel’s world. The franchise also saw, animated features, video games and comic books all based around the titular anti-hero.
I was a huge fan of Pitch Black on release and the video game Escape From Butcher’s Bay was groundbreaking. The other two films in the franchise have been met with both good and bad criticism. ‘Chronicles’ in particular was met with negative outpouring, while ‘Riddick’ saw a close blueprint to that of Pitch Black and was mostly a success.
Pitch Black comes loaded with special features that include:
- Brand new 4K restoration by Arrow Films of the Theatrical and Director’s Cuts of the film, approved by director David Twohy
- 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
- Original DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround on both cuts
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on both cuts
- Archive commentary with director David Twohy and stars Vin Diesel and Cole Hauser
- Archive commentary with director David Twohy, producer Tom Engelman and visual effects supervisor Peter Chiang
- Nightfall: The Making of Pitch Black, a newly filmed interview with director/co-writer David Twohy
- Black Box: Jackie’s Journey, a newly filmed interview with actor Rhiana Griffith
- Shazza’s Last Stand, a newly filmed interview with actor Claudia Black
- Bleach Bypassed, a newly filmed interview with cinematographer David Eggby
- Cryo-Locked, a newly filmed interview with visual effects supervisor Peter Chiang
- Primal Sounds, a newly filmed interview with composer Graeme Revell
- The Making of Pitch Black, a short behind-the-scenes featurette
- Pitch Black Raw, a comparison between early CG tests and the final footage
- Additional behind-the-scenes footage from the making of the film
- 2004 archive bonus features, including an introduction by Twohy, A View Into The Dark, and Chronicles of Riddick Visual Encyclopedia
- Johns’ Chase Log, a short prequel narrated by Cole Hauser detailing the character’s hunt for Riddick
- The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury (in 16:9 widescreen with DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio), an animated short film directed by Peter Chung that acts as a bridgepoint between Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick, featuring vocal performances by Vin Diesel, Keith David and Rhiana Griffith reprising their roles
- Dark Fury bonus features including Bridging The Gap, Peter Chung: The Mind of an Animator, A View Into The Light, and a “pre-animation” version of the film
- Slam City, a motion comic from the film’s official website
- Into Pitch Black, a TV special offering an alternative non-canon glimpse into what happened before and after the events of the film
- Raveworld: Pitch Black Event, footage of a dance music event held to promote the film
- Theatrical trailers, plus trailers for the two sequels and video game
- Image galleries
- Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned ‘night’ and ‘day’ artwork by Luke Preece