I am very familiar with Spanish filmmaker José Ramón Larraz and you should be too. His films Vampyres and Symptoms are fantastic works of micro-budget sorcery. Edge of the Axe is more from the same dude, but does not fall in line at all with the director’s other works. That being said, it rules and is a must own for slasher fans.
The picture revolves around a West Coast town being terrorized by a dude wearing a white mask (that looks half Michael Myers and half Jason Voorhees) and black rain pancho and yielding an axe. It falls to a computer whiz, Gerald and his girlfriend, Lilian’s hands to discover who is the man behind the mask and bloody axe.
It’s a pretty simple setup, but there is something quirky and fascinating about the way this film works. Maybe its that the film is shot in Madrid and only made to look like the West Coast. Or, Maybe it’s the use of hilarious computer language like referring to the internet as connecting to the ‘central console.’ It definitely has its strange charms. Oh, and a broad daylight axe murder that occurs in a car wash.
It’s really worth the purchase for the fantastic box art alone, but it turns out the bonus is this movie is a lot of weird, slashy fun.
The Arrow Video disc includes:
- Brand new 2K restoration from the original camera negative
- English and Spanish language versions of the feature
- Original uncompressed mono audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
- Newly translated English subtitles for the Spanish soundtrack
- Brand new audio commentary with actor Barton Faulks
- Brand new audio commentary with The Hysteria Continues
- Newly-filmed interview with actor Barton Faulks
- The Pain in Spain – a newly-filmed interview with special effects and make-up artist Colin Arthur
- Image Gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork by Justin Osbourn
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Amanda Reyes
The Blu Ray for Edge of the Axe hits shelves and online shops on Jan. 28. Pre-order your copy HERE.