Deep Red is easily my favorite in the Dario Argento lexicon. It captures all aspects of what he was praised for, combining the surreal signature Italian cinema aesthetics, with his cornerstone Giallo procedural trademarks and my personal favorite Goblin score.
Arrow’s Deep Red release features a beautiful 4k scan of the original negative and a host of features that thoroughly explore the title.
The film follows musician Marcus Daly (David Hemmings) and his investigation into the murder of a young clairvoyant that he happens upon. The story is filled with twists and turns and full of Argento’s unique gore stylings.
Most notably, this version features the original Italian soundtrack in addition to the original English soundtrack and a intro by Claudio Simontelli of Goblin.
Other features include:
- Audio Commentary with Argento expert Thomas Rostock
- Introduction to the film by Claudio Simonetti of Goblin
- Profondo Giallo – a brand new visual essay by Michael Mackenzie featuring an in-depth appreciation of Deep Red, its themes and its legacy
- Rosso Recollections: Dario Argento’s Deep Genius – the Deep Red director on the creation of a giallo masterpiece
- The Lady in Red – Daria Nicolodi Remembers Profondo Rosso
- Music to Murder For! – Claudio Simonetti on Deep Red
- Profondo Rosso: From Celluloid to Shop – a tour of the Profondo Rosso shop in Rome with long time Argento collaborator Luigi Cozzi
- Italian Trailer
*The English audio track on this original cut has some portions of English audio missing. English audio for these sections was either never recorded or has been lost. As such, these sequences are presented with Italian audio, subtitled in English
Arrow’s Deep Red is out now on Blu-Ray.