Back in the summer, Rob Zombie announced his next film, 31, which is nearing the end of its crowdfunding run. Zombie has been talking about the project a lot, and while a lot of what we can expect is still up in the air, there are quite a few details we’ve been able to piece together.
With the 31st quickly approaching, now seems like as good a time as any to take a look at we we know about Rob Zombie’s 31 so far.
1. It takes place in 1975.
2. It has clowns in it.
3. It’s set on and around Halloween.
4. The plot involves five people being kidnapped and held hostage in a place called Murder World (which was the name of an old White Zombie song).
5. 31 is the name of a game the victims are forced to play. It’s described as the “most violent game known to man”.
6. Things inside Murder World are “always nasty, violent, and just plain fucking weird.”
7. Things inside of Murder World are not always what they seem.
8. The premise of the game 31 is you do whatever you can do to kill your opponent before they kill you. You keep it up for 12 hours and you get your freedom. There are no rules.
9. The opponents in 31 are “a group of vile, filthy, blood-thirsty clowns known as THE HEADS,” who “come in all shapes and sizes and each grows nastier than the last.”
10. There’s a small guy named Sick-Head, who is ready to “rip your fucking guts out”.
11. There’s a character named Death-Head, who is one of the most vicious and bloodthirsty residents of Murder World.
12. There’s a character named Sex-Head, who is also one of the most vicious and bloodthirsty residents of Murder World.
13. The movie will be fast-paced.
14. Zombie thinks it will be his most fan-pleasing movie to date.
15. The movie is inspired by something Rob Zombie read online about how more people go missing on Halloween than any other time of the year.
16. It’s partially inspired by Zombie’s own Great American Nightmare haunt in which he saw clowns chasing people around with chainsaws.
17. The movie is contained in one giant structure (presumably Murder World).
18. Zombie says the film will be closer in tone to The Devil’s Rejects than any of his other movies. He says people told him they felt like taking a shower after watching The Devil’s Rejects, and that 31 will take “that vibe to a new level”.
19. The film will not at all be like Lords of Salem in tone (surreal and trippy).
20. None of the villains will be likeable in the way that Captain Spaulding was likeable. Zombie says they’re “about as far from likable as you can get.”
21. Still, the villains will have big mouths and personalities.
22. There are several characters that are of the “iconic” caliber as with the firefly clan.
23. Zombie doesn’t think we’ll be rooting for the bad guys in this one. They’re that bad.
24. The good guys aren’t that nice either.
25. We can expect a synth score, though it’s possible that may change.
26. The script is finished, though Zombie says he’ll still mess with it.
27. Casting is yet to be determined. Zombie told Dread Central, “There’ll probably be some recognizable faces from the past, and there will be a lot of new faces.”
28. Zombie thinks Wayne Toth will be back. They’ve been talking.
29. So far, the plan is to go into pre-production right after New Year’s, and start shooting in February.
30. The movie will be accompanied by a full-length documentary about its making.
31. It has franchise potential. It may not become one, but it “definitely” could cater to the concept.
[youtube id=”lydekkxFttc” align=”center” mode=”normal” autoplay=”no”]