Ah, the 1980s. The decade gave us some of the greatest horror films of all time, as well as some of the most fun. One of my personal favorites in the second category is 1988’s Killer Klowns from Outer Space.
Written, directed, and produced by Stephen, Charles, and Edward Chiodo, Killer Klowns from Outer Space sadly remains the brothers’ only cinematic effort to date. The Chiodos have expressed a desire to make a sequel and/or a TV series follow-up to Killer Klowns, but for now, that doesn’t seem in the cards.
Thankfully, we still have the original film to appreciate, and kickass genre distributor Arrow Video is now set to offer fans a lovingly restored version of the cult classic. Arrow’s Killer Klowns Blu-Ray hits stores on March 27th in the U.S., and the 26th in the U.K.
Killer Klowns was previously released on Blu-Ray by MGM back in 2012, and while that disc was solid, Arrow’s looks to easily be the superior disc. Not only is the film’s transfer restored from a 4K scan of the original camera negative, but there is a whole bunch of new bonus content being included.
The MGM Blu-Ray was already pretty stacked when it came to extras – which were ported over from the company’s prior DVD – but Arrow is not only keeping all that prior material, they’re adding to the package multiple new interviews and featurettes. Even the film’s iconic theme song is getting its own piece.
Here’s the full list of extras and specs, along with the cover art.
• Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original camera negative
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Newly remastered stereo 2.0 and 5.1 DTS-HD MA audio options
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Archive audio commentary with the Chiodo Brothers
• Let the Show Begin! Anatomy of a Killer Theme Song – an all-new interview with the original members of the American punk band, The Dickies
• The Chiodos Walk Among Us: Adventures in Super 8 Filmmaking – all-new documentary highlighting the making of the Chiodo Brothers childhood films, from the giant monster epics made in their basement to their experiments in college
• New HD transfers of the complete collection of the Chiodo Brothers 8mm and Super 8 films, including Land of Terror, Free Inside, Beast from the Egg, and more!
• Tales of Tobacco – an interview with star Grant Cramer
• Debbie’s Big Night – an interview with star Suzanne Snyder
• Bringing Life to These Things – a tour of Chiodo Bros. Productions
• The Making of Killer Klowns – archive production featurette
• Visual Effects with Gene Warren Jr. – archive interview with co-writer/producer Charles Chiodo and visual effects supervisor Gene Warren Jr.
• Kreating Klowns – archive interview with Charles Chiodo and creature fabricator Dwight Roberts
• Komposing Klowns – archive interview with composer John Massari
• Klown Auditions
• Deleted Scenes with filmmaker’s audio commentary
• Image Galleries
• Original Theatrical Trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sara Deck